Do you want to help develop a Downtown for Everyone? Are you passionate about working with small business owners, developers, architects, general contractors, and partner organizations to increase economic opportunities for women and people of color in our community? If so, the Downtown Memphis Commission (DMC) has a rare opening for an individual seeking a fulfilling career working at the intersection of economic development and diversity, equity, & inclusion (DEI).
Equity doesn’t happen by accident. The DMC believes that a Downtown for Everyone must be created by everyone. The Director of DEI will serve as the subject matter expert at the DMC to maintain a consistent and aggressive focus to meet and exceed our Equal Business Opportunity (EBO) program goals. The Director of DEI will be the staff lead to administer the EBO process, track progress, present results, and identify areas for innovation.
With daily work that is dynamic and varied, the Director of DEI can expect to lead the following types of activities and projects:
- Meet with prospective incentive applicants to discuss EBO program requirements and create an Outreach & Inclusion Plan for their project
- Serve as a matchmaker and convener to help connect incentive applicants to available resources and partner organizations, when needed
- Request, receive, and evaluate monthly expenditure reports for incentivized projects using project management software and other data management and reporting tools
- Prepare quarterly reports and present findings to DMC boards, staff, and Diversity Committee
- Actively work to build and strengthen relationships with partner organizations and serve as a trusted liaison to various public and private sector stakeholders
- Represent the DMC’s DEI efforts and programs at stakeholder meetings, outreach and engagement sessions, and legislative meetings
- Investigate and research best practices, trends, and innovations; use the knowledge to help shape DMC’s work plan, improve programmatic offerings, and measure DEI results
- Plan and host periodic networking events, workshops, pre-bid conferences, and mixers to help build capacity and strengthen connections within the local MWBE developer ecosystem
While this position reports to the DMC’s Senior Vice President for Planning & Development, it is expected that the Director of DEI will also work closely with the DMC President and the entire senior staff team on a wide range of projects and initiatives to ensure that the full portfolio of DMC’s work reflects this focus on diversity, equity and inclusion. Although each department and every DMC staff member plays a role in building a Downtown for Everyone, the Director of DEI is the one person who will wake up every day focused on finding new and innovative ways to improve our DEI work. This is the perfect opportunity for someone who understands the importance of inclusive economic development and wants to play an active role in the continued growth and success of Downtown Memphis.
Who are we looking for?
- Relationship-driven, enthusiastic Memphis advocate
- Passionate about DMC’s mission to develop a Downtown for Everyone
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; effective public speaking is a must
- Self-starter who pays close attention to detail and can prioritize time-sensitive responsibilities
- Knowledge of construction, economic development, & procurement best practices
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and able to organize, analyze, and present large amounts of information using spreadsheets, tables, and database software to distill data down to key insights that enable better decision-making.
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent education, training, and work experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in public administration, construction, purchasing & procurement, community development, or another relevant field
Ready to Apply?
Please send a current resume and cover letter to “Hiring Manager” at HR@downtownmemphis.com.
Position salary range is dependent on qualifications and experience. Within six months of employment, the selected candidate must reside within Memphis and/or Shelby County, Tennessee.
The DMC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.