The Staff Accountant will prepare and maintain financial records to track the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liabilities, and other related financial activities in coordination with the Chief Financial Officer. Also responsible for accounts payable and accounts receivable cycles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Performs general profit center and intercompany accounting and other related duties for the organization.
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements.
- Maintains the general ledger for both DMC and Beale Street.
- Codes invoices, sets up new accounts, reconciles accounts, and closes the monthly books.
- Reconciles bank accounts at least monthly, verifies deposits, and addresses inquiries from banks.
- Reconciles cash disbursement accounts and other financial accounts; manages accounts receivable collections.
- Verifies and/or completes payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts.
- Provides outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit, if applicable.
- Coordinates with software vendor to maintain accounting software systems.
- Maintains knowledge of acceptable accounting practices and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Maintains/sets up vendor files with 1099 processing.
- Make deposits to multiple banking institutions.
- Assist in maintaining several custom written reports in Quick Books online.
MINIMUM PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of general financial accounting and cost accounting.
- Understanding of and the ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, and accounting software.
- Knowledge in Quick Books and ability to write custom reports, preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, or related field, required
- At least one to three years of related experience, preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position,
- The employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- The employee will have prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds at times.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Business casual attire unless there is a board meeting; business attire at that time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
To apply, please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Downtown Memphis Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.