Lieutenant (Blue Suede Brigade)
Under the supervision of the Downtown Memphis Commission Director of Safety & Hospitality. The Lieutenant will be the immediate Supervisor to the Sergeant(s) of the Blue Suede Brigade Public Safety Team. The Lieutenant will ensure they offer the support needed in all areas and be an integral part of the Program needs. The Lieutenant will also be responsible for patrolling Downtown Memphis as hospitality and safety ambassadors for the City of Memphis and Downtown; serving as supplemental eyes and ears for the business community and law enforcement agencies; and monitoring environmental conditions in the Downtown area.
- The delivery of the service and positive interaction with our customers is critical to the completion of all the tasks within this job description. The ability to greet all visitors, stakeholders, tourists, and residents; while continuously maintaining the standards of excellence in presentation and professionalism. This is a requirement of all the BSB staff.
- In performing job functions, duties, or tasks employees are required to know and follow safe work practices and to be aware of company’s policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations.
- Guide and assist Sergeant(s) with day to day operations of BSB by providing oversight and support.
- Guide and assist the Sergeant(s) with recurring training of BSB and of newly hired BSB.
- Provide information on activities, services, history, development and other facts about Downtown Memphis.
- Observe and report safety and environmental issues and general street activity.
- Maintain routine two-way radio contact with brigadiers and, as needed communication with the Memphis Police Department’s North Main Station Precinct.
- Report and react to emergency situations appropriately.
- Daily inspection of all equipment and Staff uniform appearance. Equipment operation will include use of portable radios, telephones, and other tools. This includes bikes and segways.
- Inspect Patrol Zones as scheduled and provide Seargent(s) with daily briefings to outline tasks and responsibilities.
- Ensure that BSB are clocking in and out for their scheduled shifts accurately for every shift.
- Visit businesses to provide, and share, appropriate information, and maintain positive relationships.
- Effectively patrol the area on a bicycle, Segway or on foot.
- Report safety concerns, security breaches and unusual circumstances verbally and in writing.
- Handle security issues and emergency situations according to protocol.
- Use web-based incident reporting software via handheld device (training provided).
- Monitor compliance with parking, vending, Main Street Mall access, and other City ordinances
- Assist with distribution of correspondence and materials to Downtown locations.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Safety and Hospitality.
- Ability and willingness to walk up to an eight-hour patrol beat outdoors in all types of weather
- Encourage BSB with an outgoing and friendly disposition; ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to Lead team with flexibility in an ever-changing environment; adapt well to different situations and under pressure.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
- Ability to Lead/Supervise in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Basic knowledge of and interest in Downtown and the City of Memphis (or ability to obtain/retain this knowledge).
- Good interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Physically capable of bicycle and Segway patrol (training provided) for several hours at a time.
- Active Tennessee Security Guard License preferred (DMC will assist to acquire).
- Previous security supervisory experience , military or law enforcement experience, is REQUIRED for BSB Lead positions.
- Neat and professional appearance.
- Ability to handle emergency situations efficiently and effectively.
- Stable and dependable work history with reference.
- Satisfactory completion of a background security check and motor vehicle record check.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older as required by applicable law and possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Willing to submit to substance screening test at time of employment.
• Outdoor patrol plus office assignments and inside visits to businesses.
• Shifts may vary: morning, evening, overnight and weekend. Special assignments may require early morning and late evenings. Overnight shift only if necessary
Please email all resume submissions to Lawrence Green, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will remain open until filled.