The Downtown Memphis Exterior Improvement Grant (EIG) is a program offered by the Center City Development Corporation (CCDC). This matching grant is designed to help commercial property owners and businesses make high-quality exterior improvements to their commercial buildings and property Downtown.
What Are We Trying To Accomplish?
- Encourage property investment that directly relates to improving the aesthetics of buildings and places in Downtown Memphis
- Enhance the pedestrian experience Downtown by improving the exterior appearance of buildings and commercial storefronts
- Help new and existing businesses succeed by enhancing their curb appeal
- Increase commercial property values Downtown
What Kind of Projects Are Eligible?
To be eligible for this grant, the property must be located within the Central Business Improvement District (CBID). In general, exterior repairs and improvements that are visible from the street or public sidewalk are potentially eligible expenses under the grant. Examples of eligible improvements include the following:
- Exterior building repairs
- Exterior painting
- Tuck-pointing and masonry repair
- Window & door repair/replacement
- Storefront repair/replacement
- Signage, canopies, & awnings
- High-quality fencing
- Exterior lighting
- Sidewalk repair & landscaping
- Outdoor planters and street furniture
- Removal of razor wire, chain-link fences, window bars, etc.
- Fees for design and permitting
- Public art